Thursday, February 11, 2010

Goodbye, fructose!

When my friend Leslie heard I was about to go off sugar, she sent me a link to a video on the dangers of consuming fructose, the natural sugar that's in all corn products, including modified corn starch and high-fructose corn syrups, unfortunate staples of the processed food industry.

Although the video was rambling and way too long, the pediatric endocrinologist was most convincing. In the 1970s we were all warned to cut down on fat and we did and heart disease continued to increase and we all got fatter. Why? Because the fat in our foods was replaced by more sugar, specifically high-fructose corn syrup, which impacts negatively the LDL portion of the cholesterol pattern.

Our foods are sweeter and more fattening and it makes us want sweeter, more fattening foods. Sound familiar? It does to me. I love all that stuff and I've come to depend on it in ways that just aren't healthy.

I was geared to go off sugar anyway, but that video was like the last nudge. Goodbye, corn products! Hello, fruits and vegetables!

No comments: