Sunday, March 28, 2010

16 soothers

My primary reason for eating so much sugar was to soothe and sedate my restlessness, anxiety, boredom--a kind of nervous energy that I didn't know what else to do with. I finally sat down this week and made a list of 16 things I could try as soothers. Here they are. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

1. Take a shower
2. Pet the cats.
3. Do some simple (5 minutes) work with color, focussing on process, not product. This might mean 5 minutes of choosing a collage image, or cutting out images, or putting a water color wash on the back of a collage. Just anything that engages my right brain and hands for 5 minutes.
4. Sip a glass of water with lemon or lime and focus on the sipping.
5. Walk around the block.
6. Play a game of solitaire.
7. Put lotion on my hands and feet.
8. Send a card of greeting to a friend.
9. Sit down and do nothing but look out the window.
10. Color in a coloring book (I like colored pencils for this.)
11. Chant with a Deva Premal CD for a song.
12. Do a few minutes of knitting or other needle work.
13. Sit and really listen to a piece of music.
14. Read a few pages of a great book.
15. Spend time in the hammock I plan to put up on my terrace.
16. Do some kind of sorting or straightening task ( a drawer, a shelf)--call me weird but I like doing that kind of thing.

1 comment:

mary said...

These are great suggestions. For me I'd add - call a friend to chat. I'd either just ask about them (to get me off of myself) or, I might go ahead and share what was going with me.