Friday, May 7, 2010

A day of mindfulness

I went with friends today to a seasonal day of mindfulness at Crooked Kitty Ranch where the Braided Way Sangha meets. Three of my friends hadn't been to the ranch before and it was in full spring splendor, the many trees leafed out, the lilacs in bloom. The sun shone a good part of the day and we sat outside as we wished.

I've been in a bit of a funk. I don't know whether it's a cyclical low point that hits me from time to time or something to do with the deep inner work I'm doing with my spiritual director around the place of love in my life. But I have found it hard to keep to my usual routines and schedules, which are a major way of grounding myself.

So it felt particularly good to be on the land, to listen to the birds sing, to feel the breeze on my skin and hear the wind in the trees. We even watched and heard a pair of eagles dancing on the currents above us.

I spent time reading, thinking, meditating, and just being. I was delighted by my friends' delight in the sweetness and peace of the day. It was a lovely experience and I came back feeling much better.

No comments: