Monday, May 24, 2010

Sugar, fatigue, and jet lag

I've been dragging all day. I went to bed as late as I could force it, about 9:30 Pacific time but it was clearly really late for my body (past midnight in Florida). I slept okay and woke about 4. Then, I stayed in bed and rested and dozed and got up about 7, trying to get back on my regular schedule.

But I'm not rested and I'm jet lagged for sure. Travelling is tiring--the stuffy air of planes, the noise of the engines, the tight seat, the prolonged sitting. I've needed to work today and I just couldn't find the energy for it. So I've taken care of a few errands, watched an episode of MI-5, done my laundry and unpacked. My house is clean, stuff is put away, groceries purchased. I'm pretty much ready for the week.

I also bought a big bunch of tulips and they're cheering me up.

But I have been thinking about sugar all day and how much I'd like to just sit in front of the TV for the next few hours and eat ice cream. I don't want to be productive, I don't want to be "good." I'm due to go to a friend's birthday party tonight and much as I love her, I don't want to do that either. There will be cake and I'll have to watch everybody do that. Just no fun.

After lunch, I ate 4 low-fat, low-sugar granola bars. I don't binge much any more but I just didn't care. Too tired. They weren't very satisfying and I certainly didn't get a sugar buzz but I got full, really full, and that was about as much as I could do.

And maybe there's some withdrawal going on from the high of the trip, the excitement, the enjoyment, and now I'm back to my routines. There's nothing wrong with my routines but they aren't quite so thrilling. Maybe I just need to cool my jets, as it were, and take it easy for a couple of days.

No comments: