Thursday, June 10, 2010

Food as barometer

In this inquiry I'm in around food, my spiritual director suggested I think of my use of food as a barometer, rather than a problem. "The problem lies elsewhere," she said yesterday. "From all you tell me, you eat more than you need because you are not satisfied and you are looking to food to satisfy something it can't."

This concept is not new to me: that those of us who are food addicts or overeaters use food to soothe our feelings, give us something to do when we're restless or bored, keep us company, a whole host of uses that tend to help us gain weight and avoid our feelings.

But the idea of observing my eating habits for information about what else is out of balance in my life strikes me as a great idea. I suspect that most of the time I go on eating after a meal because I'm not satisfied. I may have eaten enough food but something in me remains unfulfilled, unsated, and more and more food doesn't really satisfy that, it just makes me uncomfortable or sleepy so I don't care.

Anna then suggested that I start looking into each day for fun, engagement, and satisfaction. Instead of my usual focus on how much I can get accomplished and how many people I can please, perhaps I could begin asking where am I going to have fun?

That idea scares me to death.

1 comment:

Plat said...

Our Deepest Fear – Nelson Mandela
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”


To your fear...I am grateful for the steps you are taking to make your world and that of others a better place. Keep us posted on your interactions with your barometer.