Sunday, June 27, 2010

When your new best friend fails you

For the last several months, I've had a relationship with snack bars. They're quite low-fat and pretty low-sugar and so they seemed okay even though I went through the usual panic if I didn't have a few around. And I'll confess that there were some days when I ate four or five and skimped on meals. And while I wouldn't say I became addicted to them, I did keep focussed on them and used them for overeating in the evening.

Now their charm has worn off. They're tasty enough but they don't do anything for me, emotionally or physically. I just get fuller as if I'd eaten another slice of turkey or another half of potato. They aren't a treat and that's what I wanted them to be: a treat, and my new best friend.

I'm coming to see that food truly is a substitute for love. That I can have intimacy with a substance (alcohol, ice cream, granola bars) much more easily than I can with a friend or a lover. Food's easier to trust. Except when it fails us.

1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

Yes, but at least when food fails us, it does so in predictable ways.