Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The sugar report nearly 9 months in

A friend was asking me if I had found it easy to give up sugar. From this place, nearly 9 months on the path, I would see yes. That it has been relatively easy. The first few weeks were tough but once I had decided on a way to be abstinent, it became much easier.

One of the problems I had with Overeaters Anonymous was trying to work the 12 steps on food, where abstinence isn't possible. There are loose and rigid programs in OA but I couldn't make either of them work for me. I didn't feel a need to go through the whole 12-step program again and I found the meetings of little support for my struggle.

Then more than a year ago, I got willing to abstain from ice cream. I went on eating--and overeating--all kinds of sweets but I abstained from ice cream. Five months later, I was willing to go the next step. I talked about giving up sugar but to be abstinent from sugar seemed very complicated. I'd done it years ago and found myself fretting about every salad dressing and sauce and soup and cracker, because small amounts of sugar are almost ubiquitous in our foods. And then there was the whole problem of certain "sugary" vegetables like peas and carrots and don't even start me on fruits. Suddenly I was back in a land of restriction that I just knew wouldn't work for me.

It took me a couple of weeks to sort out what might work and for me it's been abstaining from dessert, or anything that parades as dessert, including breakfast sweets like pancakes, waffles, and sweet rolls. Having an abstinence plan has made a huge difference. I don't have to make decisions. I just don't do it. Simple is working.

1 comment:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

I've heard this progression of yours before, but I love reading it all in one place here, with the benefit of your "9 months in". It's useful and revealing to see not only the thread/theme of your relationship with food, but also this wonderful development of *how* you took care of yourself. You tried some paths that would, on their face, seem logical to follow, but they didn't work for you. Through patience and experimentation, you discovered the simple kernel of your truth that you needed to heal. Brava!

love and hugs