Friday, February 4, 2011

Intention revisited

Living spaciously in January seemed a piece of cake. I came back rested and refreshed from a long writing retreat. Eased my way into the New Year with a calendar policy and a 3-item to-do list. Worked 5-6 hours a day, got some of the things on my long-term master list accomplished. Spent time with friends. Wow, I had it all in hand.

Then starting Monday, old and new clients started showing up. Projects I'd discussed with them in November or December (and forgotten in the interim). Referrals from former clients. A couple of jobs I had applied for months ago. Suddenly I had a tremendous amount of work and not enough practice with living spaciously to handle it.

I felt the old familiar stress of overwhelm, of saying yes and yes and yes. Of watching abundant work come in and responding from a place of scarcity. Of being afraid to say no or it'll have to be later or let me look at my calendar. So after a couple of helpful conversations with wise friends, I sat down and made a list of all the projects (17 of them) and parsed them out on a calendar, being mindful of keeping my play dates, and then wrote to the clients and ascertained their deadline needs and my own. Then I sorted things out, made more realistic agreements, and began to breathe easier.

This may seem simple and logical to some of you, but to me, with an overly responsible good girl always whispering in my ear, it's a huge step forward into taking care of myself and living spaciously.

2 comments:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

This is so great! And a *huge* significant step for you. Brava!

hugs

LC said...

Have you penciled in on your calendar an appropriate celebration of this step? Way to go! By the way, your example is bearing fruit. Stuck to 3-item to do list Friday, not responding to temptation to detour into other tasks calling to me for attention. Did not completely finish, but accomplished much, even with one item (mother-in-law to doctor's visit) expanding to 5 hours. Because of list, I had already completed a number of items and felt only thankfulness that I could be with her for the doctor's visit, a trip to the hospital for blood work and a followup appointment to her oral surgeon. Sorry for length of this comment, but consider it a "thank you."