Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Loving your body

My good friend Judy Todd dropped off a CD last Thursday that she thought I might like. I'm not much of an aural learning so I don't listen to books on tape or talking CDs very often but Sunday when I took my day of ease, I popped it in and sat down with a cup of tea. The CD is by Carol Hansen and is an audio version of a workshop she does called "Lighten Up." It's Hansen's contention that one way we can learn to love ourselves better is to love our bodies. It's certainly true that in the US at least, most of us have lost whatever love we had for our selves. This is a consequence of living in a culture that has as a dominant theme, perpetual dissatisfaction so that we will continue to buy things in the hopes that that purchase will make us feel better.

And it's not news that the images we are bombarded with us, especially with the advent of airbrushing, means that we aren't thin enough, or shaped right, or pale enough, or tan enough, or blonde enough, or young enough. Whatever we are, it isn't what should be. Hansen's idea is to daily express gratitude to our bodies for all they do for us and to love them out loud. It's a simple two-step process that takes about 5 minutes a day. So I'm going to give it a try.

Hansen makes some pretty amazing claims about people who've done her program and I'm always skeptical about miracle cures, but if this can bring me into a better emotional alignment with my physical self, I'm willing and don't need promises of major weight loss or supreme health to convince me.

I'll keep you posted.

And to check out Carol's work: http://carolhansengrey.com/

No comments: