Sunday, March 20, 2011

Taking a Sabbath

"Work when there is work to do. Rest when you are tired. One thing done in peace will most likely be better than ten things done in panic...I am not a hero if I deny rest; I am only tired. --Susan McHenry


Yesterday I ran out of steam. I had a busy early part of the day. I had breakfast with a good friend; then we went to a wonderful workshop on creativity and aging. I left there, hurried home so I could get to the bank and make a deposit before a friend arrived to do a Feng Shui consultation. Usually things aren't so hurried for me but I'd gotten it stuck in my head that I needed to get all these things done yesterday. Christina left at 3:45 and I was just all of a sudden done, even though it was only the middle of the afternoon.
 
I watched a movie, called my gym buddy and used a Get-out-of-the-gym Free card, made some dinner, watched another movie. Then I slept nearly 11 hours, 3 beyond my normal. I've been flirting with a virus so that may have been some of my fatigue but mostly I was just tired of doing and needed a rest. I needed a Sunday with nothing on my calendar: NOTHING. And sometimes I can't seem to just take that as a natural part of living; instead, I often wait until my body says NO MORE.
 
Today has been wonderful. I've had what I call a do-whatever's-next day. I just do whatever I think of next. I wrote in my journal, did a little personal email, made some breakfast, took down my outside porch lights from the winter dark time, finished the novel I'd been reading, did some collage, did the exercises for next month's creativity class, had something to eat, listened to a CD a friend loaned me, did a little more collage, did the dishes, wrote my two blogs. I know that's a lot but it was so restful to have all the time I wanted for each activity that it didn't feel like a lot at all. I'd had so much sleep I didn't need a nap but I would have taken one if it had occurred to me. I feel re-energized and reconnected. Hurray!

1 comment:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

What a delicious day! And what wonderful confirmation that your instincts are not something to be tamed or overwritten, but rather something to live by.

hugs