Wednesday, April 6, 2011

friends, snacks, and meals

This past week I've had two houseguests, my good friend Barb from Tacoma and my good friend Beth from Nashville. Both visits were really fun. We did a certain amount of touristing, a little shopping, and a lot of talking and laughing. We also ate out quite a bit as Portland has so many wonderful restaurants.

What I found during both visits is that I wasn't inclined to snack at all between meals. We had plenty of activity and I was hungry for each meal, and we didn't overeat at meals, picking restaurants with reasonable portions. But the combination of such good food and such good times really satisfied something in me that I often fill with food when I'm alone, especially if I'm alone too long.

I certainly could have sneaked snack bars or extra food or eaten it in front of them but I didn't need to. At the same time, most of the time, when I'm at home working or just hanging out, I'm not conscious of being lonely or of suffering even mildly. So I'm not quite sure how these things are connected, but I sure can see that they are.

1 comment:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

That combination of great food and great company is a powerful experience, highly satisfying. What are your eating habits like at Whidbey, when you can have meal companions for any meals you like? In other words, do you think there's something about eating alone, or eating alone at home?

hugs