Tuesday, April 19, 2011

More on excuses

Thanks for all your many comments, both public and private, about the post on excuses. I've really been sitting with this since last Friday. Sitting with the fears, the inertia. And again looking at the difference between wanting to do something and committing to it. I wanted to stop eating sugar for a long time and not much changed until I made a commitment to abstaining from dessert. It's been 14 months and I have an easier and easier time just saying no (not exactly what LadyBird Johnson meant but it works).

I'm also aware that I can't take on all 5 of my issues at once. So I've decided to take on the relatively easier ones, in that there are concrete things I can do right away to turn the energy in another direction.

First, I have approached a friend who paints and who has invited me to paint with her about getting together four days in June to paint, either all in one week or two days over two weeks. I'm hoping that four painting sessions will shift me into gear and get me back in the proverbial saddle.

Second, I'm committing to doing the footwork to market my completed novel and spending at least half of writing Fridays upcoming on that project, which will require some time and some attention to detail. I need to "woman up" and just do this, regardless of the outcome.

Third in May, I'll be headed to the beach for a week's retreat and will start the second draft of the second novel then, with a goal of completing it by August 1.

That leaves, of course, the two much more difficult issues that I dance around: food and men. These are such long-standing issues that coming up with a quick, concrete solution isn't so easy, but I think taking some more substantial creative risks may help me get the courage to do so in the more private areas of my life.  We'll see what happens.

No comments: