Sunday, May 15, 2011

Inspiration and role models

On vacation, I watched Harold and Maude for the second time. The first time was in the theater when it first came out in 1971. At that time I was 25 and I identified with Bud Cort. I was shy, felt stuck, unsure, just as he was. Now at 64, I identify with Ruth Gordon and still love her zest for life.

Her singing, her dancing, her celebrating. Her thumbing her nose at the rules and the law (Tom Skerritt in an uncredited role). Her tender care for the trees in the city and the very young man. And her clear knowing when it was time to go.

Gordon was herself a remarkable woman. She made this film when she was 75 and went on to make 22 more films before she died at 89. She was married to a man 16 years her junior, famous playwright Garson Kanin. She won oscars for film scripts and for acting. I wish I had known her.

There are other older women I admire. Karen Casey, author of Each Day A New Beginning is a dynamo in her early 70s, a force to be reckoned with in the recovery community. Joanna Macy, Buddhist and environmentalist, is another, whose life force and life focus give me hope.

These women set precedents that I want to emulate: focus, concern, sharing of themselves, and a clear link to the world they live in. Makes me glad.

1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

And you, my dear, are one of my role models.