Sunday, May 1, 2011

Traveling spaciously

As most of you know, my intention for this year is to live spaciously. I've just come back from a 3-day trip to Minnesota for a speaking engagement and I had a chance to apply that principle to my travel. It made a world of difference.

First, I took up my host's offer to fly in early on Thursday (the event started on Friday afternoon). I was able to get a flight at noon and made no plans for Thursday evening so that I didn't have to worry about what time the plane got in or how long it took me to drive to the destination (about 75 minutes as it turned out). I got to the hotel, checked in. I found out the restaurant next door only served until 8 (it was 7:20) so I left my suitcase in the car, washed up, and went to dinner. My pre-spacious self would have raced to unpack before going to dinner so that dinner could be leisurely. I'm so conscious of that irony.

I had a date at 10:30 the next morning, plenty of time to do my routines of journaling and meditation and shower and breakfast. I visited with friends, got a tour, then went back to the hotel and rested. After a couple of events, I needed a break so I spent time in the lovely meditation hall on campus, just reading and thinking. Then dinner and after a few minutes of the entertainment, I excused myself and drove back to the hotel so I could have time alone.

Yesterday I got up very early so I could have spacious morning time before my presentation. I had plenty of time to write, eat, get ready, drive over. No rush, no hurry. I had an hour to speak but stopped five minutes early to give the audience a bit longer break before the next speaker. I talked to people, sat in on the next program and then after lunch, went back to the hotel, took a nap, did a little work, just enjoyed myself. I also had an early night last night. And I got back to the hotel in time to see the lovely early evening light on the countryside so I put on my walking shoes and got some fresh air.

Today I got up early so I could leave in plenty of time. Turned out I needed it as I overshot the airport by about 10 miles, had to pull off, figure out the map, and retrace my steps. But I had plenty of time to turn in the rental car, get a sandwich for the plane.

What I've learned is that travel can be stressful (new situations, lots to observe and take care of), and if I do it spaciously, I can reduce that stress so like today, there was no panic when I realized I was lost. No fear I wouldn't make it in time. I had plenty of time. I like travelling that way.

1 comment:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

As always, thank you for sharing. I learn more about you and myself when I read your blog entries. I am all about the spacious traveling; it's a challenge to have a sweetie who is in theory committed to it, but in practice struggles with it. Road trips allows for a little more spaciousness than flying, I found out this last month. It helped firm my resolve to find that spaciousness when flying somewhere. Brava to you for accomplishing that, especially heading to a *cold* climate!

hugs