Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A great poem

I love this poem. If I substitute "drank" for "roller-skated" or "eating" for "pedaling," it's a great poem about addiction.


The Rider


by Naomi Shihab Nye

A boy told me

if he roller-skated fast enough

his loneliness couldn’t catch up to him,



the best reason I ever heard

for trying to be a champion.



What I wonder tonight

pedaling hard down King William Street

is if it translates to bicycles.



A victory! To leave your loneliness

panting behind you on some street corner

while you float free into a cloud of sudden azaleas,

pink petals that have never felt loneliness,

no matter how slowly they fell.

1 comment:

sorella said...

Dear Jill,

Not only great poetic images around the addictive behavior, but also what keeps us engaged with our addictions. . . . Thank you for posting this.

hugs