Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fatigue and sugar cravings

Today is my last full day in Naples, Florida. I arrived last Thursday, led a workshop all day Saturday, and another all day Monday and all day Tuesday. Last night 2 hours after the end of the two-day workshop, I gave a presentation to about 70 people and signed books.

My co-presenter and friend Karen Casey had suggested I arrive a day early and stay a day late and we would put a day between the workshops. That was very smart thinking. I had a day to adjust a little to the change in time zones and the weather (from 45 degrees in Portland to 83 degrees in Florida). After Saturday's intense day with 55 women, we were both tired but we had Sunday to rest up. But then we went full tilt Monday and Tuesday and I didn't allow myself to slow down after the workshop ended at 4:30. I just took a shower, changed clothes, and had some supper, and went on to give the presentation.

By the time I got to the hotel last night about 9, I was nearly stupid with fatigue. All the adrenaline just kind of leaked out and I put on my pajamas and went to bed. I slept okay but woke early and I felt like a train had hit me. I got up and got some tea and walked down to the beach in the semi-cool of the morning but I was exhausted. I got some breakfast and read a while but all I could think about was getting something sweet to eat. A Starbucks muffin, an ice cream cone, a cookie. Didn't someplace around here serve pancakes? Something, anything to soothe how I felt. After about 20 minutes, I realized I was in the T of HALT, a 12-step acronym for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. all slippery places for those of us with addictions. I needed something to revive and my old friend sugar sure seemed appealing.

Then I remembered there was a spa here and I called and signed up for a Zen massage at 11:30. I didn't care what it cost. Turned out the spa is on my floor in the other wing. I could just walk over there and take my clothes off and get on the table. It was cool and candlelit and the most relaxing massage I've ever had. And I could roll off the table and put my outer clothes back on and go back to my room. It was perfect. I felt relaxed, less tired, and the cravings all disappeared.

I had a relaxing day and a two-hour nap and I'm feeling very all right again. Little by little, learning to do it differently.

1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

Wow - good for you!!