Friday, June 1, 2012

Moving out of carb country Step One

After a long conversation at our Women and Food group last week, I agreed to begin to shift in the direction of the paleo diet (simply put, no grains, no dairy, no sugar; yes to meat, veggies, fruit, and some say tubers like sweet potatoes). Going cold turkey into this from a carb-rich diet seemed more than I could do. Especially since to a woman, anyone I know who has done this says the first week is miserable as your body screams for carbs and you have little to soothe it with. Not my idea of a good time.

The last time I quit an addictive substance cold turkey, I was in an alcohol treatment center and had drugs and 24-hour support. I can't see that happening this time.

Secondly, the paleo gurus encourage you to go through your freezer, your cupboards, and your fridge and get rid of all the offending items. I have a fair amount of money invested in offending items as I keep my cupboards, freezer, and refrigerator pretty well stocked. I'm neither interested in throwing the food away or throwing that money away.

Fortunately, I've read several things that talk about easing into a low-carb food plan and so this month, I am moving off of wheat. I am not buying wheat products (bread, pasta, tortillas, etc.) and I'm not ordering them if I eat out. I do have some rye bread (just rye flour) and a couple of frozen pasta dishes that I'll eat up and then that will be that. And I'll see how that goes.

This seems a much more sensible approach and I'm hoping it will make an encouraging difference.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I decided on a similar approach several weeks ago. I have over 100 pounds to lose, have been exhausted and feeling lousy.

I stopped cooking pasta altogether and replaced it with spaghetti squash,one piece of whole wheat toast instead of two and only every other day. No more crackers. I'm trying to slip veggies into everything.

It's easier than I thought. I haven't lost much, but the belly bloat is gone, I'm not tired and everyone is telling me how good I look.

Yesterday I ate mac/cheese...and cookies. I feel like hell today and I know that's why.

I'm going to keep trucking. I'm six years sober...if I can do that I can do this.

Thanks, as always for your sharing, it helps me alot.