Friday, October 5, 2012

The German chocolate cake experiment

Tuesday night I went up to visit my sister and help her celebrate her birthday. As a gift, she'd wanted us to bring a German chocolate cake from Jaciva's, a local bakery. Cakes from Jaciva's have been a staple of family birthdays for years. I gave it some considerable thought and then decided to treat myself to a piece.

If you've been following my blog, you know that I own up to an addiction to sugar that may well have preceded my addiction to alcohol and that on Valentine's Day 2010 I swore off desserts and sweet treats. So I had to have a serious conversation with myself about this new decision. I had not been craving sweets or missing chocolate. I didn't feel that I was on the slippery slope to relapse. I felt confident I could say no if it came down to it. But sharing in the birthday festivities, including cake, I had missed.

We had a very nice dinner out and I ate lightly (soup and salad). Then we went back to her house and changed into our pajamas and had cake. I had a moderate piece, not a tiny sliver but not the large size I would have taken before.

Here's what happened:

  • I ate 3 bites and I had had enough.
  • I finished the piece of cake anyway, enjoying it less and less.
  • I didn't enjoy the chocolate pieces that decorated it--this is excellent chocolate but it still didn't taste good to me. 
  • The cake was pretty good but not fabulous.
  • I most enjoyed the feeling of the frosting smooshing around in my mouth. I don't eat things that have that creamy texture very often. I miss that.
  • After about 45 minutes, I felt yucky, not only too full but buzzing from the sugar and slightly sick.
I haven't spent any time analyzing this. I just feel grateful that it wasn't much fun and I don't really want to do that again.



1 comment:

John said...

I was also looking for help on addiction. I found an anorexia treatment programs center that really helped me out.