Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 11 Putting the scale a-weigh

It would be so easy to make this food plan about weight loss. It's what I've done in the past, it's what I know how to do. Change my eating habits, lose some pounds, stick with it a while, lose a little more, then backslide and regain it all over the course of six months or a year.

I don't call myself a yoyo dieter because the intervals between the ups and downs have been so long. I'm not somebody who has gained and lost the same 20 pounds for decades. Mostly I just steadily gained and then hit a top weight. The last weight I lost (22 pounds) I kept off. It happened in the spring of 2010 when I got off intentional sugar (I stopped eating anything that could constitute a dessert (pies, cakes, donuts, scones, candy, cookies and especially ice cream--to my mind, the perfect food). I've relapsed a couple of times on candy but never for long. But I didn't stop overeating or bingeing and though the weight stayed off, it wasn't all that I needed to lose.

There would probably be some real benefits for me if I lost some significant weight: I'd breathe, move, work out, climb stairs more easily. I'd probably sleep better. I'd look better to myself in my clothes. I'd probably be really proud of myself. That's why it would be so easy to make this change about weight loss. And I'm determined not to do that.

These food changes are about feeling great: mood, health, energy. If weight loss comes with it, how nice! I want this way of eating to make me happier and I know enough to know that weight loss won't do that. Instead, I'm hoping that great nutrition will.

I did weigh myself on Day 1. And I've agreed with my coach to weigh again in a month, on April 11. And to that end, I put the scale in the closet.  

No comments: