Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day #6 My new love

I'm in my love with my juicer. I was inspired both by the two documentaries I saw about the value of juicing (a way to get nutrient-packed food into ourselves) and by my sister, who's juiced for a long time and swears by it for health and weight loss.

They come in a lot of sizes, qualities, and costs, and it was rather dizzying to try to make a decision. I asked friends for recommendations and everybody loved the one they had or hated the one they had or never used it. I put the word out to see if anybody wanted to unload one, but the only ones available were ones people had replaced for something better. I wanted to make a serious commitment from the first and this seemed a good investment in my health.

I got a Breville 600 masticator, upper end of the line. Masticators squeeze the foods as well as centrifuging them so you got more nutrients, according to a nutritionist friend of mine. There's also less pulp and some people like that and some don't. I'm pulp-neutral.

The setup looked really complicated when I pulled the pieces out of the box and the instructions weren't the best, but it only took me about 4 minutes to figure it and after I'd washed the parts and reassembled it, I was juicing like a pro in under 10 minutes.

My food plan actually calls for green smoothies, so I juice about two cups of veggies and some fruit and then use that liquid in the smoothies for extra oomph. I'm learning what combos I like and what I don't like. But there are a lot of fruits and veggies to juice so I'm going to trying stuff out for a while. Fine by me. I love time with the juicer.

No comments: