Monday, March 18, 2013

Day #8 A lot needs to change

They say in AA that you only have to change one thing when you move into recovery: your whole life. I did that when I got sober. I changed almost everything about my life over the first few years: got out of a relationship that wasn't healthy for me; got out of a profession that didn't work for me anymore, got new interests, moved, got a new apartment, a new career, a new life.

I'm hoping that nothing quite so drastic is going to be required in my move into recovery from the form of food addiction that I have, but I know there's a lot that is going to need to change...and soon. Here are some of the things that I'm going to have to relinquish:

Eating when I'm not hungry
Bingeing on special foods
Eating while I watch TV
Eating whenever I feel like it
Eating whatever I want
Pretending I'm eating in a moderate and healthy way when I'm not
Eating in secret
Eating to soothe myself
Eating to put myself into a food coma so I can nap

There's a long road ahead of creating new habits. Being sober all these years has let me create an amazing life. I'm holding out the hope that changing how and what I eat will make it even more so.







1 comment:

zbmeredith said...

very nice post, Jill. I can see myself in this list as well. Listening to the Dalai Lama this morning about how many choices we have every day that can lead to real and lasting happiness or to momentary pleasure....inspired me to drive right past the coffee shop and my usual capuccino....esp since I had packed a veggie smoothie for breakfast and a big salad for lunch!