Thursday, March 14, 2013

My first craving experience on the new regime

This afternoon I had to deal with my first craving. I went to lunch at Old Wives Tales, a place near my home, with a big and rather famous salad bar. I was meeting a potential client for lunch and that seemed a safe place to go on my food plan.

While the salad bar had quite a few choices, it turned out that not many them worked for me. There were greens, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, and beets, but no beans or corn, no hard-boiled eggs. There were two kinds of tofu (I don't do soy), cottage cheese and cheddar (I don't do dairy), croutons (I don't do wheat), and potato salad (I don't do mayo). I made myself a big salad of what I could eat and enjoyed it, but I wasn't full and I wasn't satisfied.

I came home and the craving for something fat and sweet or salty really kicked in. I wanted a candy bar. I wanted cheese and crackers. I wanted Cheetos. but I knew I wasn't really hungry so I sat with the craving for about 45 minutes and then I did the best thing I could think of. I took a nap. I read my book and dozed for about an hour.

When I woke up, I was hungry but not craving and I recognized the difference. I fixed a snack of allowed foods and settled in to work for a couple of hours and then had a reasonable dinner of quinoa and beans and spinach and the craving didn't come back. One day at a time!

No comments: