Sunday, March 10, 2013

The day before the big adventure

Tomorrow I'm starting Project Feel Great. I've signed up with a local health coach and am going to be eating differently. The basis of the food plan is to consume as many leafy greens as I can, supplemented with other vegetables, fruits, beans, quinoa and some organic brown rice, and a little clean animal protein. I'm moving off dairy and wheat for the next 90 days. Refined sugar and processed foods are not an option either.

I've been thinking about this for a month, since I saw Forks over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, two inspiring documentaries about the curative powers of a whole-food plant-based diet. A month ago, I also had my first consult with Beth, the coach. But I was headed off to Nashville for 10 days, where it would be difficult to start a new program, and I needed time for my new juicer and blender to arrive. 

For the last week, I've been moving in the direction of the plan. I figured out how my juicer works and I've had a big glass of green juice every day (my favorite so far is tangelo/kale/romaine/parsley). The greens are 80% of the juice and the fruit 20%, for flavoring. 

I've also been eating what's in my freezer. My favorite frozen pasta dish from Trader Joe's, the last of the brie, a favorite yogurt, and this morning, a package of almond croissants that are dangerously good. 

This afternoon I'll take Beth's convenient shopping list and buy what I need for the week on her plan. 

I'm excited and I'm apprehensive and I'll keep you posted. 

1 comment:

zbmeredith said...

I'm going to join you - without coach - just your good example. Bye bye morning capuccino.....