Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 23 Lowering my expectations

I was talking to my friend Carole yesterday about our respective food plans (several of my friends are now making some food changes too), and she was talking about the difficulty of reconciling never having certain foods again. And I was reminded of the perfectionism that so easily sets in. The attempt to adhere perfectly to a food plan, to a resolution, to a new commitment, to breaking an old habit.

And I reminded her, and myself, about the importance of lowering our expectations. I can't say that I'm never going to eat cheese again or a piece of pizza or a french fry. Right now I'm not eating those things. For the next 5+ months, I plan not to. I'm trying something different to see how that feels for my body, trying something healthier that might have some pretty good consequences.

It isn't exactly one day at a time as I'm making a longer commitment. But I'm not saying "never." There's only one thing that's in the never category for me and that's alcohol. I hope to never drink again.

But as I feel my way into this new way of eating and feeling in my body, I'm finding that absolutes aren't nearly as important as paying attention. Absolutes are easier--that's probably why all or nothing can be so appealing. But paying attention seems to be the way to go.

1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

And paying attention is SO much harder . . .