Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 26 Expanding my buddy system

For years, I've been blessed with a great exercise buddy. My good friend and backyard neighbor Melanie and I have been working out at the same gym for 8 or 9 years now. We go 3-4 times a week for an hour. We set the times and days for each week according to her work schedule (mine is the most flexible) and she shows up at my house on time. We are very reluctant to use the "get out of the gym" free card and remind each other of our motto: ambulatory at 80!

Although I've exercised pretty steadily since 1980, having a buddy has meant longer and more frequent workouts and so I know that it works. So I was delighted when a friend was willing to buddy up with me on the new food plan. She is also working with the same health coach although she has a somewhat differently plan tailored to her needs and goals.

My friend and I serve as phone support for each other and we are getting together every two weeks to share ideas, set mini-goals, and talk about our experiences. Our Feel Great project (my name for it) has more than just food and weight loss components. We have 12-step experience in common and so we are looking at this through emotional and spiritual lenses as well as the physical.

Being able to share the challenges and the good results is a huge help to me.

No comments: