Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 29 Where I stand four weeks in

Today marks four weeks on the new food plan so a good moment for an assessment.

First, I have found it surprisingly easy to stick with the whole foods plant-based program. After the first 2 or 3 days, I no longer wanted or craved any of the old favorites, the old must-haves. I attribute that to the nutrition of a quart of green juice every day (kale and spinach plus a variety of other veggies--cucumber, celery, parsley, tomato, carrots,--and apple, banana, and blueberries). I have not craved other carbs or sugar. I have some days been hungrier than others. Sometimes, the quart of juice, the big salad, a snack, and a supper of a small amount of meat and veggies have not seemed enough, but I am content with another snack on the plan. I'm not thinking about pizza or candy or cheese or chips. It's not what I want.

Second, I have found myself rather unrelentingly cheerful. I wake up cheerful. I haven't had any anxiety and I haven't had any panic attacks. Sometimes I'm more cheerful than others but I am always cheerful. I'm not only cheerful in my mind but in my body. It's the only way I can explain it.

Third, I am losing weight. I have lost 14 pounds in this month without portion control (with the exception of animal protein) or measuring or counting calories.

Fourth, I do not feel like I am on a diet. This program is about what I do eat, not what I don't. Yes, I'm not eating wheat or dairy or soy, but it doesn't feel like a restriction. It actually does feel like a choice. Like I'm choosing to put these other foods into my body because of what they can do for me. It's hard to explain.

But I am very pleased.

No comments: