Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 32 I won't be doing that again

It's been decades since I had a hangover and today sure felt like one. Queasy stomach, the jitters, just generally yucky. I suspect it was my liver trying to deal with all the caffeine in the chocolate I ate yesterday.

I gave up caffeinated coffee more than 15 years ago because I just couldn't process the caffeine. One cup of the real stuff and I was miserable for hours. I moved to decaf lattes and even that got to be too much so I moved to tea and would have one cup of black tea in the morning and one in the late afternoon. Then that got to be too much and I'd have decaf tea in the morning and maybe a cup of black tea in the afternoon or maybe not.

Since I started the food plan, I've had no interest in caffeine and little interest in tea at all except as a hot beverage. I don't need the jolt and my liver has been happier without it for sure. So it must have been overwhelmed by all I ate yesterday. I felt like crap all night and only started feeling better about 4 this afternoon. In a way, as I said last night, I'm glad it happened for two reasons.

One, there's no fooling myself that I can eat candy of any kind in moderation. I just can't stop once I get started. And I guess every once in a while I have to have a reminder. I'm on this food plan to feel great and chocolate isn't going to help that happen.

Second, and probably more important, feeling so crummy for 24 hours is going to be a good help. I've been feeling so great and I just don't want to feel like crap, not certainly voluntarily, which the past 24 hours has been. I can play that tape of how I felt and choose something else, just like I used to play the alcohol hangover tape any time I was the least bit tempted to drink. Those tapes are useful tools.


1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

Yes! the more I've cleaned up my diet, the more I find this to be true. I got a gluten-free pizza about a month ago - with pepperoni - and it literally made me sick. I play the queasiness and vomiting over in my head every time I think about having something cheesy and bread-y and nitrate-greasy. I REALLY don't want that to happen again!!