Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 33 A different kind of energy

For a long time, all of my childhood, my youth, my young adulthood, I was a very high energy person in a bounce-off-the-walls kind of way. I was very thin, very active, very busy. I was also very unhappy, very anxious, very nervous. So when I heard that more energy was an effect of the new food plan, I got pretty concerned. For decades I'd been drinking and then eating to deal with that energy, to tamp it down, to drown out or stuff the anxiety, the restlessness, the jitters. Why would I want to eat in such a way as to have more of that?

My coach explained that the effect of a plant-based program had a different impact on the brain. Calorie-dense foods like burgers, fries, pizza, milkshakes cause a spike in dopamine. We get high and then we get low and we want another high. But eating lots and lots of plants, your body produces steady levels of serotonin, which has a calming effect. In addition, it produces clarity and stamina, or at least that's what I'm experiencing.

I'm not sure I can say that I have "more" energy, but I certainly have more stamina, in a slow and steady kind of way. I don't need caffeine, I don't need a nap. I feel strong and capable. It's a nice change.

No comments: