Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 41 Giving up a reliable problem

I met today with two close friends. We call ourselves the Soul Strippers and we meet once a month to talk about life and what's going on and what we might want to change or enhance. After some pretty long check-ins where we catch up with each other, we started talking about what's up in our lives. We got into an interesting conversation about stepping more fully into something we want, like being a writer or a creative or more deeply connected to Spirit.

The other two then talked some about an ongoing problem that they each would like to solve. But when it came my turn, I was really hard-pressed to come up with something. For the last 20+ years, I've been complaining about, stuck on, planning to take action with, unwilling to shift, grousing about, reading about, seeking help with, and troubled by my relationship with food. It was my reliable problem. The 12 years before that, drinking was my reliable problem (that and my current dysfunctional relationship). Lots of conversational mileage out of that for I've bonded with a great many women over food and weight issues. It's a chronic topic of conversation.

So now that I've found what may well be a real and permanent solution to the food ISSUE, I'm going to have to give that up as my reliable problem. I wonder if I'll find another or if I have the courage to be problem-free.

No comments: