Friday, April 26, 2013

Day 47 Watching out for myself when others are cooking for me

Today was the second full day of the retreat and I'm learning that no wheat, soy, or dairy means one thing to me and another thing to some of my retreat mates. Last night's fruit salad dessert had a yogurt dressing, tonight's corn tortillas were made with wheat and the salsa had soy oil. I haven't made a big deal about it but I haven't eaten those foods. When they've asked, I've just said I'm abstaining from those foods to see how it feels. It's not their issue, it's mine.

This reminds me a bit of early sobriety where people with no knowledge of alcoholism would offer me wine ("it's not really alcohol, is it?") or a liqueur-ed dessert ("it's not very much"). I have to watch out for myself.  In those days, I would often arrive at a gathering with a 6-pack of soft drinks and one of them open and in my hand. This week I brought plenty of food with me that I can quickly substitute if need be. Last night it was no problem to make my own cup of fruit. Today at lunch there was meat in the soup. I had a vegetarian soup with me and I quickly heated it up and ate it with the others as I knew there would be meat tonight and I'm only eating a very little animal protein. The salsa was easy to bypass, and I had corn-sweet potato chips that I could substitute for the tortillas, much to the delight of another participant, who eats gluten-free.

I don't know if a little bit of yogurt would be a problem or the oil in the salsa. But I don't want to find out. What I do want to find out is how terrific can I feel on this plan and can I eat this way for the long haul? Beginning to fudge at this point seems counter-productive, especially when I have other options.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jill, you might consider that what the purity approach to food 'means' to others may simply be a reflection of education or knowledge. How would they know?

Unknown said...

Jill, you might consider that what the purity approach to food 'means' to others may simply be a reflection of education or knowledge. How would they know?