Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 57 After years of resistance: the food diary

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that people who keep a food diary stay on their plans with considerably more success than those who don't track what they eat. I've always resisted a food diary, not wanting anything to be that exacting (e.g., four grapes, two olives, six walnuts), but part of the motivation behind that resistance has been a desire to avoid really being truthful with what I eat and how much of it I eat. Some ice cream was always easier to admit to than a half-gallon.

Now that I'm in this new relationship with food and, more importantly, with my body and its health, I'm finding myself willing to do things differently. So when my coach suggested this morning that I keep a food diary for a few days, I agreed right away. In fact, I'd already been thinking about it. It's one thing to report to her in general what I'm eating. It's another to share exactly what I'm eating and when. So for the next 7 days, I'm going to practice this: writing down what I eat, and how much, and at what time, and see what she and I can learn from it about what's too much, what's not enough, what's missing, what's out of balance.  

No comments: