Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 66 Moving out of the easy/difficult conversation

In my morning meditation readings this morning, one of the questions was this: What would your life be like if things were "easy" or "difficult"--they just were? And I've been thinking about this all day. How we color what is with an evaluation of good and bad rather that just is.

When I talk to people about my food changes, they often want to know if it's difficult. I wonder if they want it to be so that they don't have to consider changing for themselves. Of course, I'm not asking them to change. I'm just talking about what works for me. As we say in AA, attraction rather than promotion. And I remember that from the film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead--that the people Joe Cross interviewed mostly said, "I can't do that. It would be too hard."

I don't really have an answer for the "isn't it hard" question. I don't think about it in that way and haven't from the beginning. I think about the fact that it's important, that it's a possible solution to something I've struggled with for a long time. I think about the fact that it's working in the ways that I want. And I wonder what else I could apply this to in my life. Dropping the difficult/easy conversation, and just being with what is.

No comments: