Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 76 The end of caffeine as I've known it

For more than a decade, I've been reducing my caffeine consumption. Although I didn't start drinking coffee until well into my 20s, I had a 6-coke a day habit when I lived in the South and with the advent of the latte, I did 2 or 3 a day for a long time. Then in the mid-90s, a naturopathic toxin test showed that my body didn't really want coffee anymore. While my liver quite easily processed all the environmental toxins in the test, after 24 hours, it hadn't processed any of the caffeine. Not a good sign.

So I started drinking the Why Bother: Decaf nonfat sugar-free vanilla lattes. But decaf coffee still has some caffeine and after a while, even that gave me the jitters. So I moved to black tea, a different form of caffeine. And that was my beverage of choice for a long time, especially after I discovered PG Tips, a delicious British tea. Having that hot cup with my journal in the morning was a thoroughly embedded ritual in my life. Many a writing retreat I drank cup after cup of black tea to fuel my creativity. And even on work days, I'd need a 4 pm pick-me-up.

Now I don't feel the need for the caffeine, for the drug of it, anymore. I wake up, well, awake and ready to start the day. Even if when I don't sleep particularly well, I'm awake and energized. I usually start the day with a big glass of sparkling water with fresh lemon and then a huge glass of green juice smoothie. Sometimes late in the morning I'll have a cup of tea but always decaf and I don't often finish it. And the 4:00 slump is gone. I just don't feel like it anymore, neither the need nor the desire for a cup of coffee or a cup of tea. I find that very interesting.

No comments: