Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 79 16 solutions for workaholism

For some years, I've been using a technique called 16 solutions. It's a way of brainstorming answers to problems or queries, to get yourself thinking beyond the obvious. I use it in my writing, my painting, all my groups, and my life. So my Soul Strippers group on Sunday challenged me to 16 solutions on overworking. Here's what I came up with.

1. Do paid work only after noon.
2. Keep a running list of projects and how much time each will take to use for scheduling.
3. Plan two more vacations for this year.
4. Raise my rates.
5. Seek no new work. Accept only referrals.
6. Make a list of criteria for projects I want and consult the list before saying yes to a project.
7. Don't work and eat.
8. Walk around the neighborhood in the middle of the work day.
9. Create 10 fun things to do for a work break that don't include food.
10. Keep a sabbath.
11. Acknowledge openly and frequently that writing and painting are my real work.
12. Uncover what's under the need to work too much.
13. Reinvent myself as a spacious-living person.
14. Practice petting meditation more often.
15. Be online 10% less every day.
16. Take a siesta in the late afternoon every day.

Some of these really speak to me. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: