Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 101 When I'm doing what I love, hunger isn't an issue

Last night, I was the featured speaker at a fundraising gathering for DePaul Treatment Centers. I'm not sure how they heard about me. The new Development Director had found my name in a file of possible speakers and looked me up online. I got a chance to speak about the importance of creative self-expression in my recovery from alcoholism and encourage not only all those who were there to get creative but also to encourage everyone they knew as well. I sold a lot of books and talked to a lot of folks.

I'd had a later lunch (1:30) and when I got ready to leave home at 5, I wasn't at all hungry (a little nervousness was part of that, I'm sure). I didn't get home until after 8:30 but I was never hungry while I was there. There was food but none of it on the Plan--nearly everything had dairy or wheat or both. It looked great and in times past, I'd probably have eaten a lot. But I didn't miss it or feel deprived. I was happy doing what I was doing.

I find the same thing is true when I'm at the studio. A couple of hours there goes by and I don't think to drink the tea I brought or eat the snack I have in my bag. I'm just really engaged in what I'm doing and food isn't an issue. I wish I could bottle that indifference for other times of my day.

No comments: