Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 105 Financial aspects of being on the Plan

Yesterday I met with my monthly money group, women who have been getting together for years to reorient our relationships to earning, spending, and saving. For the last couple of years, I've been reporting on my spending for food, which has been pretty enormous. I both ate out a lot, which is expensive, and I bought a lot of prepared foods and shopped sometimes 2-3 times a week. My food planning was solely of the "that sounds good" or "I'd like some of that" variety.

While I haven't done any kind of a systematic study of food spending in the last 3+ months, I know several things. First, I'm eating out 1-2 times a month rather than 8-10 times a month. Second, when I get together with friends for a meal, I'm much more likely to suggest we eat here and I fix something. Third, while organic produce is not cheap, I'm not buying prepared foods or much meat and no junk food (I have an admitted fondness for Cheetos).

All these things are adding up to some substantial financial savings on the Plan.

No comments: