Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 112 Being willing to be conscious

I came across this quote the other day from relationship psychologist Gay Hendricks: "Being conscious means being aware, questioning your choices and your behaviors, not allowing yourself to lapse into the familiar and unworkable simply because it is what you have known."

The challenge that lies ahead of me is the challenge of increasing consciousness around eating. I've changed what I eat and am developing a good consciousness around that part of it. Out to lunch today with my friend Susan and I made careful choices to avoid the things I'm abstaining from. I read menus, I read labels, I am conscious of what I am choosing to put into my body.

But I am not so conscious of how I eat and when I eat and how much I eat, all additional aspects of this shift in my life. I find myself lapsing into the familiar and unworkable because it is what I have known. And so just as in meditation, we notice our mind off course and gently bring it back, I'm hoping to develop a consciousness around the impulse to eat and then gently bring myself back to what it is I want: maximum health and well-being, which is not the same as the next tasty thing.

No comments: