Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 85 Overeating vs. compulsive overeating

I'm fascinated by all the ways I'm experiencing food and the urges to eat as I work my way towards a healthier relationship with what I eat, when I eat, how much I eat, and why. 85 days on the plan has given me a much better handle on what I eat. My intake now is very healthy, pretty low fat and low sugar, low meat, heavy, heavy on vegetables and other plant-based foods. And I'm reaping some real benefits from that.

And some of the time, I'm still overeating. Or at least I think I am. I eat a good meal and sometimes I'm not satisfied and I keep eating until I am. Am I actually still hungry or is the urge to eat something else? I don't think it's emotional. I'm not conscious of being bored or restless or unhappy or lonely. I'm just not satisfied. Is that overeating? Is that compulsive overeating?

Something similar happens some afternoons. About 4 or 4:30, I feel hungry and I get a snack. And sometimes that's enough. And sometimes it isn't. I don't feel full. I don't feel satisfied. And so I eat another snack or two more snacks. Is that overeating? Is that compulsive overeating? Today, I had a big salad for lunch about 12:30. Wasn't needing food until 6. What was different from a day when a big salad is not enough and I eat some nuts and then something else before I'm done? It's a puzzlement.


No comments: