Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 91 Living into our potential

Since I got sober 23+ years ago, I've been in transformation. I don't see this as constant change but rather an attitude of openness to the possibility of change, of difference, of the new. And recently I came across a great statement by life coach Gay Hendricks:  "I am here today because my commitment to living my potential is greater than my commitment to the familiar."

I was solidly committed to the familiar for a long time: drinking and its increasing misery, a bad relationship where my love and affection were disrespected, an academic job with its petty politics and dedication to the status quo of poor pay and unsatisfying support. I stayed a long time in those places and heavy drinking made it possible.

But in these last decades, I've gotten sober, I've changed careers, I left that man behind to become the woman I was meant to be. And now I've added a very real and possible solution to the captivating hold that food addiction has held over for me for as long as I can remember.

Am I cured of food addiction? I wish. But no, I know more than enough to know that this is another one day at a time of conscious choices and decisions. And that's okay. Because I have solid evidence that one day at a time adds up to big changes. And I do believe, after 90 days, that this food plan is a potential I can live into.

No comments: