Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 97 The challenge of the quick meal/snack/fix

When I started the Plan, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about not eating so much meat. Like most things we eat, I knew it was a habit to eat animal protein at most, if not all, meals. Kind of the American way and promoted by the meat and dairy industries. Of course, I knew some of the problems with that habit; weight gain, cholesterol issues, etc. But it just seemed easier.

Now I don't eat dairy at all and I eat no more than 4 oz. of animal protein (1/4 pound) a day and sometimes I don't eat any. My need/interest/desire seems to be fading for it. With one marked exception. The quick meal/snack/fix.

I didn't realize how often I relied on cheese, yogurt, and meat (cold cuts, leftover chicken) to make a very quick meal until that wasn't an option. I'd come home after being out running errands and be really hungry and grab a piece of chicken or several slices of deli turkey or deli ham and I could be pretty satisfied in a few bites and a very few minutes.

With mostly plants, there's little that's so quick. I do keep a hearty veggie soup on hand most of the time, some cans of organic chili, and there's almost always some green juice leftover in the fridge. But those don't satisfy in the same quick way that the protein and fat of meat does. So I need to watch my hunger and not go too long. It takes more planning and most of the time I'm okay with that. But every once in a while, I'd like that quick fix of crackers and cheese or baguette, butter, and ham.



No comments: