Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 126 Support and strategies

On my writing retreat, I read Brene Brown's Daring Greatly. Although it wasn't what I expected (more of a psychological report on research on attitudes than suggestions for living larger), there were some very good ideas. Here's a quote that I copied into my creative notebook: "None of us is ever able to part with our survival strategies without significant support and the cultivation of replacement strategies."

Although not her intent as far as I know, this is a beautiful description of 12-step programs: significant support and the cultivation of replacement strategies. Having friends willing to be on the food plan on the retreat was immensely helpful. Having the support of my family is wonderful. My friend/neighbor/adopted sister Melanie asked me what restaurant would work for me for her birthday dinner. At our family get together tonight, we had a big salad instead of pizza or cake. Of course, it helps that I am firm in my commitment so some of that significant support is my own. But I'll take it wherever I can find it.

Now I'm working on replacement strategies.

No comments: