Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 137 Plus or minus foods

A discussion yesterday with my Plan buddy, Lily, got me thinking about whether the big change in how I feel is from what I'm eating or what I'm not eating.

What I'm eating that I wasn't before: green juice (freshly juiced greens, cucumbers, apple, parsley, carrots, tomatoes, celery) every day, usually in a smoothie with some fruit; crock pot vegetable soup every day packed with veggies, more cooked and raw veggies or a big salad of raw veggies. Many more berries. Tons more green leafies.

What I'm not eating: cheese, yogurt, milk, butter. Bread, pasta, muffins, scones, waffles, pancakes, cookies, cake, pie, flour tortillas, cereal. Soy in any form: no edamame, tofu, tempeh, soy sauce, soy oil. Refined sugars except in incidental quantities.

I eat meat but much, much less. I used to eat animal products three times a day: eggs for breakfast, cold cuts for lunch, meat for dinner. Now I eat 4 oz of meat once a day and not every day. I also don't eat very many processed foods. I do eat a little salad dressing on my salad, I do eat some canned foods: beans, occasional olives, organic canned soups and broth, and occasionally a healthy prepared sauce for soups or stews. I'd estimate though that I've cut out 75% of the processed foods from my diet if not more.

What I think: It isn't one or the other. The combination of shifting away from foods that weren't good for me to foods that are great for me has had a profound effect!

No comments: