Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 149 Calcium without dairy products

I stopped taking supplemental calcium a few years back. I had been tested for vitamin D deficiency, which is rampant in our northern neck of the woods, and began taking a supplement for that (if you're low in D, your body won't process the calcium.) As part of the testing, I got a serious bone density test done and learned I had the bones of a 24-year-old anyway. Why? Primarily because I'd been steadily doing weight-bearing exercise (jogging, then walking, and always weights) for over 30 years. Walking and jogging have made my lower torso and spine strong, lifting weights has made my arm bones strong.

Thus, with the vitamin D supplement that I take and a strong exercise program and quite a bit of dairy in my diet, I felt pretty confident that I was getting enough. But when I got off dairy, I wondered if I'd still be okay. Turns out I may be getting even more without dairy because some many fruits and vegetables have calcium in them.

Here's a link with more information. http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/why-you-dont-need-milk-for-calcium/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jointhereboot%2FuoBr+%28Reboot+With+Joe%29

No comments: