Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 153 My "fool" plan

Right after I published the blog day before yesterday, I saw that I had a typo. Instead of "food" plan, I'd written "fool" plan. My good friend Karen Casey also pointed it out, as a God joke. And I've been thinking about whether this is a fool plan, a foolish plan, or whether it's a fool-proof plan.

In the sense of promoting good health, eating 10-15 servings of fruits and vegetables a day is a fool-proof plan. There's no down side. I get tons of vitamins and minerals and other good things, like fiber and protein and slow-burning carbs. It makes my cells happy in a way I didn't know I could experience.

It takes more work than buying frozen entrees or already prepared foods from the Whole Foods deli (my former at-home eating style), but I know what goes into my body and I feel good about that too.

I'm not fooling myself that this is the only thing I need to do to lose weight although it's a huge step in the right direction. I'm not fooling myself into thinking this is a fountain of youth or will necessarily repair the internal damage of decades of too much sugar and fat and alcohol. But again, it's a huge step in the right direction.

And perhaps most important for my emotional health, I have no shame or guilt about what I eat now, and that had plagued me for more years than I want to count.

No comments: