Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 161 Missing real desserts

The last couple of days I've had a serious desire for some real sugar. I haven't had serious sugar for many months now. A year ago, I had a piece of German chocolate cake at my sister's for her birthday and felt wretched afterwards, and six months ago I went through about a week of big-time candy-eating, which tasted great and felt awful, so I know in my gut, and elsewhere, that it's not a good idea at all.

But that doesn't keep me from wanting it. Ice cream, pudding, something with whipped cream, blackberry pie, maybe, or a piece of pound cake with berries and cream. Or a dozen pieces of my favorite Sees chocolates.

There are some passable sweets on the plan: Larabars are made with dates and nuts and natural flavors and they're quite decent. Raw Revolution makes a couple of good chocolate date bars. There are gluten-free cookies and even gluten-free brownies and cakes but none of them are scrumptious and I'm wanting something scrumptious, in fact, a lot of something scrumptious.

It will pass, this desire. I know that. But tonight I miss eating with abandon.

No comments: