Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 162 Food, discipline, and rebellion

In my phone session with my coach last week, I talked a little about my strong resistance to a structured eating plan. How that feels like a diet instead of a plan. And she mentioned something I hadn't thought about for a while. How discipline and rebellion fit into this picture of recovery, not just from food but from addicting tendencies in general.

She asked me to acknowledge that creating and maintaining a successful one-woman business takes a lot of discipline. That staying sober all these many years takes discipline and commitment. And that food is my goof-off place, my rebellion, my you-can't-make-me place. It felt really good to hear that acknowledged and to acknowledge it to myself.

That doesn't mean that I can't change or make other choices around food, but it does help me understand the resistance and sit with it a little better.

No comments: