Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 172 Travelling again on the plan

I've come over to Eastern Oregon with my sister Kerry for the long weekend. She brought her superduper Blendtec blender (this thing has a feature that heats your blenderized food to soup or chills it to ice cream!). I really debated whether to load all my kitchen gear into the car (blender, juicer, rice cooker, slow cooker) and decided to leave it all home. Yesterday I made a fabulous soup and brought it over for us and this morning I made about six servings of steel-cut oats and two quarts of juice. While it's best fresh for the nutrients, it will keep in the refrigerator a few days and that seemed easier. I did bring my soy-free veggie burgers (very few commercial veggie burgers are df, gf, and sf (dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free) and my Firefly fermented carrots (hard to be without those). So I'm feeling that there's plenty of safe food to eat even without my gear.

This week's soup:  Fill the blender (2 quart) with fresh little tomatoes and one quartered and skinned onion. Add 1 cup of veggie broth. Pulverize and pour into the slow cooker. Add chopped potatoes, zucchini, cabbage, and parsley. Add a bit of cumin, lemon salt, lemon pepper, and garlic. Cook until the potatoes are tender (about 4 hours in mine).

Today's juice: dozen leaves of kale and deep green lettuce, 1 large zucchini, 1 large cucumber, l large apple, rest of the cabbage that wouldn't fit into the soup, dozen or so carrots. I kept putting in stuff until I had two quarts.

Also packed toasted almonds, maple-flavored agave, coconut milk, blackberries, remaining ripe peach, some limes and more apples. Some guacamole to top the veggie burgers with, some frozen T Joe's chicken sausages, a frozen chicken breast. We're set!

1 comment:

Bridget B. said...

You're making me HUNGRY!!