Saturday, September 21, 2013

Day 194 Getting started on the Plan

A couple of blog readers have written asking for a simple way to get started on the Food Plan. Here's how I did it.

I watched the two films, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and Forks over Knives, and I immediately (within minutes) began researching juicers, and within two days, I'd ordered a Breville Juice Fountain, which I've been very happy with.

It took me about a week to get the hang of juicing (combinations that worked well for me). I never minded the greenness of the juice (I've been eating greens for years and drinking them didn't seem a big deal). I began drinking juice by itself and in a morning smoothie every day.

I also hooked up with my coach and began to contemplate giving up wheat, dairy, and soy in any form. I had the option to give them up slowly (one each month) or do it all at once. I took nearly a month to decide to do them all at once. During that month, I was making a week-long trip to Nashville and knew a new food plan might be tough. Also I wanted to eat up foods in my cupboard and freezer and so I did that. But I didn't buy any new foods with wheat, dairy, or soy. At the end of the month, what I hadn't eaten up, I gave away or threw away.

My coach had given me a basic food outline (smoothie for breakfast plus oatmeal if I wanted, a big salad every day, meat and veggies or veggie soup for the third meal, plus some safe snacks). At first, I had trouble with big salads but as my palate changed, I began to like them more and more, and I began to see the variety that could be had.

Then I started to use my crock pot and made wonderful veggie soups and started doing the veggie bakes (root and other veggies baked in broth) and found a good veggie burger and I had lots of variety. Now 7 months later, this is what I eat.

So, I recommend:

  • Get a juicer and juice and make smoothies.
  • Find the courage to go without wheat and dairy and soy for a few months. 
  • See how you feel. It's so worth it. 




No comments: