Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 198 A simple idea that may well lower my sense of overwhelm

A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for Gretchen Rubin's 21-day decluttering class ($4.99). I loved Gretchen's Happiness Project book; she has a lot of great ideas and although I suspected the courses were recycled ideas, I didn't mind. One, it was cheap and two, having them all together would be helpful.

At the end of the first week, Gretchen gave us a one-minute idea. If you see something that needs to be done and it can be done in a minute or less, just do it. Don't put it on your list or groan and move on. Just do it. This is such a simple and radical concept for me. And I'm discovering how much less than a minute many things take, like:

Close all the cupboard doors in the kitchen.
Wipe the counter.
Throw something in the dirty clothes bin.
Wipe a spot of spilled pepper inside the cabinet (Instead of thinking, I need to take everything out and give that good cleaning. That may be true but in under 10 seconds, I can grab the sponge and wipe up the spill instead of seeing it every time I open that cabinet).
Hang up my coat.
Scoop out the litter box.
Put the phone back on its charger
Put away most single things that are out of place.
Make an appt on the phone or by email
Shake the kitchen mat.
Tidy the coach cover
Make the bed (yes, in under a minute)

Give it a try. It's amazing!


No comments: