Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 199 Eating a variety of fruits and veggies

Many people are willing to eat more fruits and vegetables but only certain ones, ones they already know they like. They like apples, oranges, and bananas and they're willing to eat one a day. They like carrots and cucumbers and tomatoes and they're willing to eat a salad a couple of times a week. That salad.

What I'm learning is that all the fruits and vegetables offer different nutrients and different combinations of nutrients. The more variety we eat and learn to enjoy, the better health we may experience. I buy and juice all the kinds of kale, different kinds of apples, all the different dark green lettuces, cucumbers, both kinds of parsley, collard greens, mustard greens, and chard. I cook all the greens as well and if they're organic, I add the cooking water to my juices for smoothies. I eat cauliflower, brocolli, brussel sprouts, all the root vegetables, different kinds of beets. I experiment with things I see at the market, both raw and cooked.

I also eat a wide variety of fruits although I keep blueberries (frozen) and bananas (fresh and frozen--remember to peel before freezing) as staples but I smoothie with mango, peaches, nectarines, pears, grapes (freeze great), strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, figs, dates. I also eat a variety of seeds and nuts, not just a couple of kinds.

Hurray for a different palate!

No comments: